Pioneering a more sustainable events industry
Years of intense effort often go into making an event happen. But once everyone has packed up and gone home, most people are blind to what happens next. The uncomfortable fact is the events industry is extremely wasteful. Many materials that could be recycled or even reused end up being disposed of or destroyed – often at considerable cost.
To remedy this blindness, we’re working hard to create a legacy of sustainability for the whole events industry. This means we’re not just evolving our own processes, practices and materials, we’re educating others too.
In recognition of this ongoing progress towards a sustainable future, we have achieved ISO 20121 certification. Not only does this give us a great sense of pride, it gives you the assurance that we are a responsible partner who will take a pro-active role in reducing your environmental footprint and becoming more socially responsible.
- Every month, we save 97.75 tonnes of waste from landfill sites. That’s the equivalent of a commercial airplane.
- Just by sending postcards instead of furniture brochures, we save eight trees a year.
- 98% of our carpets are recycled.
- Our innovative plug and play SmartWire system results in absolutely no cable waste.
- We are investing in greener vehicles to reduce our fleet’s carbon emissions.
- To help young people develop their skills and get on the career ladder, we offer many apprenticeships across our organisation.
- We work with our customers, suppliers and trade associates to share sustainability best practice. This helps to raise the level of knowledge across the whole industry.
- To increase awareness of these issues, sustainability forms a key part of every sales tender and employee induction.
- To help pull the slum community of Namuwongo out of poverty, we have teamed up with the events industry to create the charity Events for Namuwongo. We actively encourage our staff to go over and forge relationships with the community, working together with them to build a clean and safe environment providing basic amenities and support.
- The beating heart of our business is our people. It is their dedication, commitment and passion that makes the impossible possible. A reflection of this dedication is our Investors in People status.
- A percentage of our annual profits is fed back into the community as donations and sponsorships of charities.
- By recycling our waste, we make an annual saving of £14,038.
- By sending postcards instead of furniture brochures, we make an annual saving of £31, 000.
“At GES we are proud to be showing leadership in sustainability"
Mark Eddy, European Sales Director, GES